2 Weeks Old

posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2014 by Kyra


Nursing: Cash loves to nurse and he is quite the little piglet. He has even developed this adorable little nursing blister in the middle of his upper lip. During the day Cash pretty much nurses every 1-2 hours then toward the evening he slows down a bit and nurses every 2-3 hours. At night it really varies from every hour to every 3 hours sometimes. We are still working on our routine, but I’m hoping that we get it down soon.

Cloth Diapering: I love cloth diapering! It is so easy! I can’t even imagine using disposable and the amount of garbage we would have. We change Cash every 2-3 hours and his diaper is always soaked! He is a pee machine! Nick’s parents bought Cash an adorable teal sleeper with little whales on it and on the pocket it says “Little Squirt” thus we have given him the nickname “little squirt” or “squirt” because it is just so appropriate! I did have to re-lanolize my wool covers because I didn’t use enough lanolin the first two times. I’m still trying to figure out the right amount of lanolin to use, but I know I’ll get it down soon.

Nick and I also decided to use cloth wipes instead of disposable wipes. It’s scary what is in disposable wipes when you research it a little! My dear friend, Natalie, bought us two packs of Blueberry bamboo and organic cotton wipes and we absolutely love them! We also received some OsoCozycotton flannel wipes that had great reviews on Amazon, but I don’t like to use them for cloth wipes in our wipes warmer. The picture on Amazon shows pastel stitching on the edges but they arrived with red, purple and green stitching on the edges. Pretty, but the color bleeds when the wipes sit in our warmer! So disappointing! Instead, I use these in our diaper bag when we go out. I may use them as washcloths during bath time as well.

Sleep: Cash sleeps pretty well for our first 3-hour stretch most nights but the second half of the night is tough. He doesn’t cry he just fusses and wants to nurse himself to sleep. Last night I didn’t sleep more than 2 hours combined because he was just fussing and nursing was the only thing that would sooth him. Needless to say my nipples are so soar now! Cash sleeps great during the day so I’m thinking that he may have his days and nights confused. I’m really hoping that Cash starts sleeping better at night soon! I’m pretty much a zombie mama most days.

Likes/Dislikes: We are still figuring out what Cash likes and doesn’t like. He still loves skin-to-skin contact and being held. Every morning Nick holds Cash and he loves his time with his daddy! He has recently been trying to smile and giggle too! It is just so precious! While he still doesn’t like diaper changes he does love to soil a brand new diaper! Our son is one healthy pooper!

Cash definitely lets us know what he is unhappy! He does not like to put down! This is partially my fault because he really hasn’t been out of someone’s arms since he was born. Another dislike is the car seat. He does ok when he is in the car seat if the truck is moving but the second we stop to wants O-U-T OUT! While he can handle a couple hours in the car seat on and off he does reach his breaking point and even the driving doesn’t soothe him. Hopefully this gets better soon too!

Activities: We left the house twice this week! Cash’s first official outing was a trip to the LIVE office. He did great in the car seat and everyone at the office thought he was so beautiful! I must admit that I agree with them- he certainly is a beautiful baby! We also went to Home Depot and then out to our house in Athol to drop some material off for our contractor, Sam. Cash and I waited in the car while Nick went into Home Depot. After we left our house in Athol we decided that we could go to the store too. In hindsight this was a mistake because out little man had just had his fill of the car! He started crying when we were about 10 minutes from the store and then I had a let down and my boobs were killing me! I nursed in the parking lot while Nick ran into the store. Cash was happy until he had to go back in the car seat. Poor little guy was just ready to be home.

Our second outing was similar to the first. He did great for the first part, but was unhappy after a couple hours. Nick and I had a small claims court date to attend so my mom sat in the car and rocked Cash while we attended our hearing. Luckily the defendants didn’t show up so we won by default and were back out in the car within the hour. I had horrible anxiety leaving him for the first time but he didn’t even notice that I was gone! After we left the courthouse I wanted to get some little sleeper gowns at Kohls to make nighttime diaper changes easier. Nick waited in the car while my mom and I ran into Kohls. I got a call from Nick about 10 minutes later that Cash was fussing and was ready to nurse. My mom and I quickly checked out and ran to the car so Cash could nurse. Again, he was happy when he was nursing but then when he had to go back into his car seat he was fit to be tied! He cried half the way home and the only thing that helped sooth him was mama singing Christmas songs to him! He definitely gets his love of Christmas songs from his mama!

Our neighbors Greg, Kristi and Kailey came over on Friday night to meet our little Cash. I could tell they were in love! Kailey told us she would baby sit anytime we wanted. I know we will take her up on her offer!

My friend Laura (Tiny Toes Little Nose) and her son Liam were in town from Utah for a visit while her hubby was in Europe so they got to meet Cash as well! Laura is pregnant with their second boy so I got to see her adorable pregnant belly…makes me miss my belly and being pregnant!


Health: We have one healthy boy on our hands! Our midwife came to our house for his 9-day check-up and he weighed 6 pounds and 5 ounces. She was very impressed with his weight gain! Like I said, my son loves to nurse! Cash also lifted his head all the time! He is really strong and can lift his head completely off my shoulder or chest-it’s the side-to-side control that he is still working on. Unfortunately, our little man still gets the hiccups everyday much to daddy’s dismay. He also has a little baby acne on his face.

Best Moment: Cash has been trying to smile a lot this week and it is so adorable! He also lets out the most adorable giggling noise in his sleep! Nick and I can’t wait for that first smile that sticks and for him to start laughing. We know he will be one happy boy because he has so much love from his family and our friends! 

Post a Comment