3 Weeks Old

posted on Saturday, January 3, 2015 by Kyra



This post is a little late this week but Cash's picture was taken on the day he turned 3 weeks old.

Nursing: Cash is a nursing machine! I would say nursing is one of his favorite activities! During the day he still nurses every 2 or 3 hours. In the morning he tends to nurse more frequently. We are still trying to get our nighttime nursing down. Sometimes he will go 3 hours in between nursing but a few nights this week he wanted to nurse every hour. We think he is going through a growing spurt.

Cloth Diapering: Nick and I are so glad we chose to cloth diaper! Not only is it way better to only have organic cotton against our little man’s bottom but also we will save so much money in the long run. Cash is a pooping and peeing machine! We change his diaper every 2 hours and it is always soaked with pee and usually has a huge poop in it too. We have been fighting a small bit of diaper rash this week. It’s not too bad but we wanted to get right on it so we started giving him some “naked baby time” to dry out in between diaper changes and we started using some Mother Love diaper rash cream to help clear it up. We also added a few drops of tea tree and lavender essential oil to his diaper wipe solution. I think all of these things are really making a difference. The only problem with “naked baby time” is that he pees and poops everywhere when he doesn’t have a diaper on.

Sleep: We are still working on out nighttime routine. We started swaddling Cash in an Aden +Anais bamboo swaddle blanket at night. He seems to like this but not if you try to swaddle his arms. He has to have his arms free or he throws a fit! Cash sleeps best tummy to tummy on my chest. He doesn’t like to be put on his back out of my arms! This has been pretty tough to adjust to but I’m really hoping that we get a nighttime routine down really soon!

Likes/Dislikes: Cash still loves to be held skin to skin. I have been practicing carrying him in my Sakura Bloom ring sling and he seems to really like it! He also loves to rock (the full big rocks) in our glider with daddy. We have recently discovered that he also likes to “sit up” (with us supporting him of course) and look around.

We still struggle with diaper changing time and trips in the car seat. He is ok for a short time in the car seat but after a little bit he starts crying. It is so tough to hear when we are driving and I can’t take him out to nurse him.

Activities: We had visits from our friends Alejandro and Katee and my uncle Paul, aunt Colleen and cousin Kenzie.



Katee is pregnant and due in March. Nick and I are so excited for them to become parents! They plan to move back to Spokane after their son is born and we can’t wait to have babies so close in age!

Cash and I also ventured out on our first solo outing this week! We went to a breastfeeding support group at Mother’s Haven. The group is lead by a lactation consultant and consists of breastfeeding mommies of babies and toddlers. It was so nice to be around other breastfeeding mommies! I think we will try to go to this group every week. Cash did really well in the car and only cried a little bit at the beginning of the group. He was satisfied as soon as I fed him though! Cash is a total boob man!

Health: Our little man is super healthy but he does have some baby acne! I hope it goes away soon. It doesn’t bother Cash but it upsets mama! We also weighed Cash when we went to Mother’s Haven on Monday. He still had a shirt on and I put a small flannel receiving blanket under him but he weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces. I don’t know how much the shirt and blanket add but I would guess that he is at least 7 pounds.


Best Moment: Christmas and Christmas Eve! We had our family over for both and it was so nice to have a house full of family. Nick’s family and my family took care of all the cooking and clean up so I actually got to relax and just enjoy the holiday. I can’t wait for Christmas time next year when Cash will be 1! I know he will love Christmas time just as much as his mama does!




Post a Comment