1 Month Old

posted on Wednesday, January 7, 2015 by Kyra


Nursing: I love my nursing bond with my son. I can’t even begin to describe the amazing connection I feel every time we nurse. I’m really enjoying our ever-increasing bond. Cash still nurses every 2 hours during the day and sometimes more frequently. He tends to want to cluster nurse in the morning and then it spreads out as the day progresses. We are still nursing every 2-3 hours at night but I’m hoping that he will start to sleep longer soon.

Cloth Diapering: After 3 weeks we decided that we needed more newborn cloth diapers so we don’t have to do laundry everyday unless we want to.  We ordered 15 more organic cotton workhorse fitted newborn diapers from Green Mountain Diapers and 24 more Blueberry cotton/bamboo wipes. Cash is a super heavy wetter so we still change his diaper every 2 hours. That baby skin is just so sensitive!

We can always tell when Cash is pooping or working on a poop because he grunts like crazy! Cash is a grunter in general (grunts while he nurses, grunts while he sleeps, grunts during diaper changes, grunts while he is being rocked-I think you get the picture) but he really grunts loudly while he is pushing out a poop. We will hear him making his poop grunts and then we hear him (yes HEAR his) FILL his diaper! It is absolutely hilarious!

Sleep: I’m still not sleeping too well since Cash wants to nurse every couple hours. I find that I am so tired while I’m nursing him at night that I will forget to put my boob away when I’m done and we both wake up soaked in breast milk. I tend to leak a lot so having a large supply of Bamboobies nursing pads has been a lifesaver, but they aren’t very effective if you don’t put your boob away. He sleeps so peacefully during the day but tends to fuss at night. We have tried a few new things this week and I think they may be helping a little. Cash doesn’t like to sleep on his back on the mattress so I put my Holy Lamb Organics changing pad on the bed and he likes to sleep on that for a couple hours at night and then he spends the rest of the night sleeping on my chest. Tuesday night was by far the best night of sleep this week. He slept several 1-2 hour stretches on the changing pad and wasn’t too fussy. We also started using a noise machine. My friend Shannon has her whole family addicted to noise machines and swear by them so we thought we should give it a try. I know I will never hear the end of it from her, but I actually think it helps! We put it on the ocean waves setting and let it play all night. Cash seems to sleep better and I don’t wake up to every single small noise he makes.

Likes/Dislikes: Cash loves to be held and still loves his skin-to-skin contact. He is also really enjoying his time in the ring sling! I am so happy that he likes to be worn because it has made our outings so much easier! I simply take him out of his car seat in the parking lot, pop him in the ring sling and we are off! Nick still rocks Cash in our glider and he LOVES the big, full rocks. We also discovered that Cash likes his nana to walk him around in a rock/drop type of walk when she holds him. My mom came over to spend some time with Cash this week at a particularly fussy time of day for our little man and she was able to sooth him with her rock/drop walk! We just love discovering new things that our son enjoys!


Unfortunately, Cash still doesn’t like diaper changes except when we are around other people. He cries and fusses like crazy at home when it’s just Nick and I but he loves to “show off” and make mama and daddy look silly when anyone else is around. I don’t know if it’s the change of scenery or what but he does really well when we change his diaper on the go! Nick and I made the mistake of trying to swaddle Cash’s arms in the swaddle blanket this week, you would think he was being tortured the way he wailed- yes wailed not cried! We quickly remedied the mistake and he was perfectly fine. Note to self: do NOT under any circumstance swaddle my baby’s arms!

Activities: We have enjoyed several family outings this week and it had been so nice to get out of the house! While is does take 3-4 times as long to run errands we have still enjoyed our outings. Cash went on his first trip to Costco this week and slept through the whole thing in the ring sling. Several people came up to us to tell us how cute he is and sneak a peek at the sleeping baby. One thing I love about the ring sling is the fact that people can’t just walk up to us and touch him! We also went to the Macys and Motherhood Maternity this week so I could return some things and buy some nursing tanks. After we left Macy’s we enjoyed our first “date” with our little man at Twiggs in the Valley. Cash slept in the ring sling all the way until our food was served. At this point he decided he wanted to eat with us. I just popped him on the breast and we all ate together. While I was pregnant Nick shared with me that he might have a hard time with me nursing in public, but now that our son is here it didn’t even faze him. I have nursed while walking around the office several times and now I have nursed in 2 restaurants. I almost feel like a pro!


Health: We have really noticed some major growth this week. Cash has outgrown his zippered newborn outfits! We tried to measure him and think he is about 20 inches long now. Luckily the snap newborn outfits still fit him! We weighed Cash at Mother’sHaven on Monday and he weighed 7 pounds 13 ounces naked! Pretty exciting that he is almost 8 pounds! We are still fighting the baby acne and a small spot (the size of the head of a pin) of diaper rash but both of these things are getting better. I keep putting coconut oil on his baby acne and Mother Lovediaper rash cream on his little bottom. I’m sure hoping these both clear up soon!


Best Moment: Cash started trying to smile around week 2. He makes little half smiles in his sleep and this week we saw a full smile while sleeping. He has also started giggling in his sleep! Nick and I often wonder what he is dreaming about when he smiles and we think we can sum it up in one word – BOOBIES!

Post a Comment