12 Weeks Old

posted on Thursday, March 5, 2015 by Kyra


Nursing: Our nighttime nursing is becoming more or a blur but I feel like Cash is going longer in between nursing sessions, that or maybe I’m just sleeping through them more. During the day he still nurses all the time but he does take a couple longer naps, usually around 3 hours, so that’s quite the improvement.

Cloth Diapering: Cash usually has around 3 or 4 big poops per day now. We are still waiting for my Bustainablebabyish/Sloomb order to arrive. We tried our one OBF diaper and it is AMAZING! Cash wore it for 8 hours straight! I almost felt guilty not changing him every 2-3 hours like normal but when we took the diaper off he still felt relatively dry. The diaper was heavy so I knew it was holding a ton of pee, but it didn’t feel soaked like our other diapers. I am definitely ordering more ASAP. I wish I had found these diapers sooner, but hey, live and learn! I am also going to order some underwoolies soon too.

Sleep: Cash is sleeping great at night. As long as he is on his side in the crook of my arm or on his tummy on my chest he sleeps peacefully. I can tell when he is ready to nurse because he starts rooting around searching for my nipple in his sleep. Sometimes I wake up and he is sucking on the side of my boob through my shirt. Needless to say, my shirts are always soaked with either breast milk, baby spit or a combination of the two. Cash starts getting fussy/tired around 8 PM so we lay down in bed, nurse and go to sleep and he usually sleeps until 6:30 AM sometimes 7:30 AM. He is usually awake for a couple hours and then likes to take his morning nap on Nick's chest.


Likes/Dislikes: When Cash started fighting sleep we were trying everything we could think of to soothe him. During this we discovered that he loves it when we sing to him. I was singing Hush Little Baby, but I really didn’t care for the words. I started searching the internet for more modern lyrics and ran across the lyrics to Hush Little Baby by Sylvia Long. I instantly fell in love with the lyrics and started learning them:

Hush Little Baby - Sylvia Long

Hush little baby, don't say a word.
Momma's going to show you a hummingbird.

If that hummingbird should fly,
Momma's going to show you the evening sky.

When the nighttime shadows fall,
Momma's going to hear the crickets call.

When their songs drift from afar,
Momma's going to show you a shooting star.

When that star has dropped from view,
Momma's going to read a book with you.

When that story has been read,
Momma's going to bring your warm bed spread.

If that quilt begins to wear,
Momma's going to bring you your teddy bear.

If that teddy bear won't hug,
Momma's going to catch you a lightning bug.

If that lightning bug won't glow,
Momma's going to play on her old banjo.

If that banjo is out of tune,
Momma's going to show you the harvest moon.

As that moon drifts through the sky,
Momma's going to sing you a lullaby.

After singing this for a few days I decided to change the banjo line to something that fit our family better:

If that lightning bug won't glow,
Daddy’s going to play his guitar solo.

If that guitar is out of tune,
Momma's going to show you the harvest moon.

I always have to say daddy since I don’t know how to play the guitar. Once I start singing this to Cash he starts to settle down. It is just so precious!

Cash also like to take walks in his ergo carrier with us. Nick wears Cash on the front while I take our 2 doggies and we walk the 2-mile loop through our neighborhood. Cash is awake for the first part and loves to take everything in but he eventually falls asleep and then sleeps the rest of the walk and usually another hour after we get home.




We are still having a hard time with the car seat but he usually calms down when we get on the freeway. I really hope this doesn’t last too much longer!


Activities: My friend Katee is due on March 31st so Cash and I went to her baby shower this past weekend. Now that I have  a baby I just love baby showers! It is so fun to see all the clothes and baby items that new mamas receive. Cash was a big hit at the shower too! Everyone commented on how beautiful he is and how cute his little smile is. I couldn’t agree more but I’m probably a little biased!

We also took Cash on another trip to Costco. I just wore him in the ring sling the entire time and he just slept peacefully against my chest.


Health: I weighed Cash at Mother’s Haven this week and he weighed 11 pounds 7 ounces! Little moose! We have noticed a huge increase in the amount of drool coming from Cash’s mouth this week – he seems to drool all over everything. He also likes to suck on anything and everything. His favorite things to suck on are his fists, my shoulder, nana’s arm, his burp rags and my ring sling.

Best Moment: We had two awesome moments this week! The first I missed (tear) but Nick got to see. Cash was lying on our bed with Nick and he rolled onto his side all by himself! This of course happened the second I left the room and he hasn’t done it again but I know he will. The second best moment happened when Nick was holding Cash in his lap at dinner. He was sitting facing away from Nick in the crook of his arm when he started trying to sit up! We couldn’t believe our eyes! I did manage to catch this on my iPhone video camera (unfortunately, the video is too long to upload)! It just amazes us how strong he is already!

Post a Comment